The Word From Arizona's Fifth District

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Primary Results

The numbers don't really give us much to go on since both candidates were uncontested. Democratic turnout around the state seems low to me (this is speculation, I don't have any stats and I don't expect that really to be the case in CD-8). Then again, the only statewide Democratic primary was for the School Superintendent job (with Jason Williams upsetting Slade Mead). Over a quarter of a million Republicans voted to nominate a gubernatorial candidate so their numbers were much larger this primary than Democrats. Therefore, I wouldn't worry about fears that Mitchell's base is much smaller than J.D.'s. Hayworth's people came out today to choose a governor.

So, here are the numbers:

Hayworth: 30,376

Mitchell:
18,218

Unrelated-to-CD-05-Note: I also wanted to add that Ed Ableser and David Schapira won the primary for District 17 State House race. Ed is a great guy, I have walked for him twice and he will continue to serve us well in the Legislature. I don't know much about Schapira. I was rooting for Rhett Wilson (no relation) and his loss was a disappointment. Rhett was a great candidate who was actively engaged with people at ASU and knew the troubles students go through with tuition, gas prices, and relations with Tempe (especially for renters and commuters). I still see a bright future for him in Arizona politics.

Other than that, Len Munsil will be the next unsuccessful GOP nominee for the governor's seat and Gabrielle Giffords will be CD-08's next Congresswoman.

I'm off to bed, happy Primary night everyone!

1 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Received this info in a mailer from Harry's campaign.

Harry and JD scheduled to appear at candidate forum ...

When: Sunday Sep 17, 2pm - 4pm
Where: Temple Emanuel, 5801 S. Rural Road, Tempe (between Baseline and Guadelupe)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home