The Word From Arizona's Fifth District

Friday, April 07, 2006

Yes, I'm Still Here

Hello everyone. Sorry the blog hasn't been updated in a while. I've been really busy with homework lately and I was out of town for a little bit last week. There has been a ton of news since my last update, so let's get to it!

Yesterday, the Arizona Republic reported that Larry King has called it quits.
"After over 18 months on the campaign trail, it's become clear to me that timing is everything," King said. "And I have concluded that now is not the time for me to be a candidate."

It must have been a really hard, frustrating decision to make. Send your thanks and support to Larry here.

King's decision now clears the field for Harry Mitchell, who according to some rumors has accumulated a "ton" of money before the March 31 filing deadline. Both King and Mitchell will be on the primary ballot so it will be interesting to see how many die-hard Larry King supporters there are out there. Mitchell has been keeping a relatively low profile and has yet to finish his campaign website. Harry resigned his state senate seat to work on the campaign full-time. Appointed in his place, was ASU graduate student and health counselor Ed Ableser. Ableser will carry out the rest of the term and then run for the District 17 house seat. Representative Meg Burton Cahill is set to run for the Senate seat in November.

Meanwhile, Hayworth has been paraphrasing from his immigration book in Washington. The good news is that his and the other GOP "enforcement-only" legislation is pretty much dead. The massive nationwide protests last month must have resonated with the politicians in Washington. Of course, there still is the large bloc of Republicans that want to pass their racist, xenophobic, ineffective bill, but the GOP is in shambles on the hill. The bad news is that almost any other idea is currently shelved.

The Arizona Democratic Party has called for Hayworth to return all Abramoff connected money. In fact, that is one of four press releases concerning Hayworth the state party has released since the beginning of April. The state party is rallying behind Mitchell and is ready to make Hayworth public enemy number one (or maybe number two, after Jon Kyl).

Also, of interesting note, the state party has another candidate for District 5 listed. Lee Hollingsworth of Scottsdale is supposedly running. His website doesn't really expand on his candidacy.

2 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Blogger TimWilsonAZ said...

There is also one thing I'd like to add. Geo over at his AZ-5/LD-20 blog made a connection between my absence and Mitchell's announcement.

That was merely a coincedence. I respect and admire Harry Mitchell. He is the father of modern Tempe and I feel very close to the city and ASU. Mitchell is a great candidate that will defeat Hayworth. I support Mitchell 100% now that Larry is out. I chose to support Larry because I came to him to help his campaign before Mitchell's announcement and I felt a certain amount of loyalty to Larry who was kind enough to return my phone calls and talk to me about the race. That and Larry is a dedicated, hard-working progressive Democrat.

I saw a potential primary match between King and Mitchell as a good thing. It raises both candidate's profiles before the election and it could possibly set the tone for the race.

Finals are only a couple of weeks away, but I've prepared pretty well for them the past few weeks. (I should have since I didn't have much time to blog or research online.)

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Geo said...

Cool beans, Tim! Glad you're still blogging - I was afraid we'd lost you (and right after I put you on my blogroll, too)!

Looking forward to seeing your pics of the event if you're able to make it out there.

Good luck on your finals!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home